Caverna: The Cave Farmers Board Game Review
Name of the game: Caverna: The Cave Farmers
BGG Weight: 3.78 / 5
Year published: 2013
Publisher: Lookout Games
Designer: Uwe Rosenberg
Number of players: 1-7
Playing time: 30 minutes per player
Game category/theme: Economic, Farming
Board game mechanics: Automatic Resource Growth, Increase Value of Unchosen Resources, Solo / Solitaire Game, Tile Placement, Turn Order: Claim Action, Worker Placement
Player Interaction: 6.5
Game Rating: 8.7
Weight Rating = (8.8 + 9.2) = 18
Playability Rating = [(9.0 + 6.5 + 8.7) – 8.8] = 15.4
Play Rating Score = (18 + 15.4) x 2 = 66.8
Value Rating = 66.8 / 7 = 9.54
Final Score Rating = 66.8 + 9.54 = 76.34
Caverna is a worker placement game where players take on the roles of cave farmers, managing resources, expanding their family and building their farm. The game provides numerous paths to victory, from mining for ore and gems to harvesting crops and livestock. The tile placement mechanic allows for a unique game board every time, providing a high level of replayability. The game can be played with up to 7 players, making it perfect for larger groups. The complexity rating is high, but the game rewards careful planning and strategy.
Caverna does not offer solo or cooperative play. However, it is an excellent choice for players who enjoy strategic economic games with high replayability.
10 games that may appeal to someone who likes Caverna:
- Agricola: Another game by the same designer, Uwe Rosenberg, with similar mechanics but a different theme.
- Stone Age: A classic worker placement game with a prehistoric theme.
- Puerto Rico: A strategy game where players build an economy on a Caribbean island.
- Terraforming Mars: A game about building and managing resources on Mars.
- Through the Ages: A civilization building game where players manage resources, technology, and culture.
- Power Grid: A game about building a power grid and managing resources in order to power cities.
- Scythe: A game about building and managing a civilization in a post-WWI world.
- Viticulture: A game about managing a vineyard and producing wine.
- Great Western Trail: A game about building and managing a cattle drive across the United States.
- Everdell: A game about building a woodland village and managing resources to grow and expand the village.
This review was provided by Open Source Artificial Intelligence programs. It uses a series of complex statement to have AI programs amalgomate their databases to produces information on board games. These reviews are completely unedited output from the AI bots.