Eclipse: Second Dawn for the Galaxy Board Game Review
Name: Eclipse: Second Dawn for the Galaxy
BGG Weight: 3.62 / 5
Year Published: 2019
Designer: Touko Tahkokallio
Number of Players: 2-6
Playing Time: 120-180 minutes
Game Category/Theme: Science Fiction, Civilization Building, Exploration, Space Opera
Board Game Mechanics: Alliances, Area-Impulse, Dice Rolling, Grid Movement, Hexagon Grid
Player Interaction: 8.8
Game Rating: 9.0
Weight Rating = 17.7
Playability rating = 18.8
Play Rating score = 73
Value Rating = 12.17
Final Score Rating = 85.17
Eclipse: Second Dawn for the Galaxy is a highly thematic, space opera game that has players controlling a galactic civilization through exploration, research, diplomacy, and warfare. Players must balance their actions to gain victory points and compete with other players to become the dominant civilization in the galaxy. The game offers a lot of depth and variability, with different civilizations having unique strengths and weaknesses and a modular board that changes with each game. The game also has a technology tree that players can use to upgrade their ships, increase their economy, and gain new abilities.
The game offers a solo mode as well as cooperative play, allowing players to play together against an automated opponent. The game’s mechanics can be complex, with a lot of information to keep track of, but it rewards players who take the time to understand them. The game’s combat system is also unique, with players rolling dice to determine hits, but the number of dice rolled being based on a ship’s technology level.
For those who enjoyed Eclipse: Second Dawn for the Galaxy, here are ten other games that they may enjoy:
- Twilight Imperium: Fourth Edition – A space opera game that has players controlling different factions in a race for dominance.
- Terraforming Mars – A civilization building game that has players terraforming Mars through the use of various projects.
- Gaia Project – A science fiction game that has players controlling different factions in a race for dominance over the galaxy.
- Scythe – A 4X game set in an alternate 1920s Europe where players must compete to conquer territory and gather resources.
- Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization – A civilization building game that has players leading their civilizations through different ages of history.
- Roll for the Galaxy – A dice rolling game that has players building space empires through the use of different technologies.
- Cosmic Encounter – A science fiction game that has players competing to control different planets through diplomacy and warfare.
- Eclipse – The predecessor to Eclipse: Second Dawn for the Galaxy, a space opera game with similar mechanics and themes.
- Star Wars: Rebellion – A game set in the Star Wars universe that has players controlling the Galactic Empire or Rebel Alliance in a struggle for control.
- Sid Meier’s Civilization: A New Dawn – A game based on the popular video game series, where players control different civilizations in a race for dominance over the world
This review was provided by Open Source Artificial Intelligence programs. It uses a series of complex statement to have AI programs amalgomate their databases to produces information on board games. These reviews are completely unedited output from the AI bots.