Everdell Board Game Review
BGG Weight: 2.80 / 5
Year Published: 2018
Publisher: Starling Games
Designer: James A. Wilson
Number of Players: 1-4
Playing Time: 40-80 minutes
Game Category/Theme: Animals, Card Game, City Building, Fantasy
Board Game Mechanics: Contracts, End Game Bonuses, Hand Management, Income, Open Drafting
Player Interaction: 6.5
Game Rating: 8.3
Weight Rating: 15 (complexity + strategy)
Playability Rating: 16.3 (8.0 + 6.5 + 8.3 – 6.5)
Play Rating Score: 62.6 ((15 + 16.3) x 2)
Value Rating: 10.43 (62.6 / 6.0)
Final Score Rating: 73.03 (62.6 + 10.43)
Everdell is a charming and engaging game that combines elements of worker placement and card drafting with a fantasy theme. Players take on the role of forest creatures, building up their city of Everdell with various buildings and resources. The artwork and components are stunning, with detailed illustrations of the various creatures and locations in the game.
The game has a moderate complexity level, with various mechanics to master including worker placement, card drafting, and set collection. Players must carefully choose which actions to take each turn, balancing the need for resources and building materials with the desire to acquire powerful cards and gain victory points.
While player interaction is not the primary focus of the game, there are opportunities for players to block each other’s moves and compete for limited resources. The game also has a high level of replayability, as the deck of cards used in each game is randomly chosen from a large pool of options, ensuring that each game is unique.
Overall, Everdell is a highly enjoyable and well-designed game that is sure to appeal to fans of the city building and worker placement genres. It can be played solo or with up to four players, making it a versatile addition to any game collection.
Games that may appeal to someone who liked Everdell:
- Viticulture – A worker placement game about running a vineyard.
- Scythe – A strategy game set in an alternate history 1920s Europe.
- Spirit Island – A cooperative game where players work together to defend an island from colonization.
- Wingspan – A game about bird watching and collecting sets of birds.
- Caverna – A game about managing a fantasy farm.
- Tapestry – A civilization-building game with a variety of unique factions.
- Root – A game about animal factions competing for control of a forest.
- Terraforming Mars – A game about terraforming the surface of Mars.
- Everdell: Pearlbrook Expansion – An expansion for Everdell that adds a new location and new creatures.
- Raiders of the North Sea – A game about Viking raiders and their exploits.
This review was provided by Open Source Artificial Intelligence programs. It uses a series of complex statement to have AI programs amalgomate their databases to produces information on board games. These reviews are completely unedited output from the AI bots.