Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion Board Game Review
Name of the game: Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion
BGG Weight: 3.63 / 5
Year published: 2020
Publisher: Cephalofair Games
Designer: Isaac Childres
Number of players: 1-4
Playing time: 30-120 minutes
Game category/theme: Fantasy, Adventure, Exploration, Combat
Board game mechanics: Action Queue, Action Retrieval, Campaign / Battle Card Driven, Communication Limits, Cooperative Game
Player interaction: 8.5
Game rating: 9.0
Weight rating: 16.7
Playability rating: 19.0
Play Rating score: 71.4
Value Rating: 10.2
Final Score Rating: 81.60
Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion is a cooperative dungeon-crawler board game set in a fantasy world. Players take on the roles of adventurers, each with their own unique abilities and motivations, as they explore dangerous dungeons, fight monsters, and complete quests. The game features a modular board and a campaign system, where players progress through a series of interconnected scenarios, making decisions that affect the outcome of the story.
The game can be played solo or with up to four players, and it offers a rich and immersive gameplay experience. The hand management system, where players must choose which cards to play and which to keep for later, adds a layer of strategic depth to the game. The modular board and scenario-based gameplay ensure that each playthrough is different, and the variable player powers give each character a unique playstyle.
The game is moderately complex, but it comes with a comprehensive rulebook and tutorial scenario that guides players through the basics. The game can be played over multiple sessions, and the campaign system adds a sense of continuity and progression to the gameplay.
Overall, Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion is an excellent board game that offers a rich and immersive gameplay experience. It is a must-play for fans of dungeon-crawlers and fantasy-themed board games.
Here are 10 games that might appeal to someone who enjoyed Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion:
- Frosthaven – This is the highly anticipated sequel to Gloomhaven and offers a similar type of gameplay with new characters, enemies, and scenarios.
- Mage Knight – A complex adventure game that features customizable characters, strategic combat, and exploration of a modular game board.
- Descent: Journeys in the Dark – A cooperative adventure game that lets players explore dungeons and battle monsters, with character progression and skill customization.
- Imperial Assault – Another adventure game with a Star Wars theme, this game has a campaign mode, solo play, and skirmish mode with customizable characters and tactical combat.
- Arkham Horror: The Card Game – A cooperative card game set in the Lovecraftian world of Arkham Horror, featuring unique characters, customizable decks, and branching storylines.
- Dead of Winter – A cooperative game of survival during a zombie apocalypse, with hidden traitors and a crossroads system that adds narrative choices to the gameplay.
- Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 – A cooperative game that offers a unique storyline and changing game board as players work together to stop the spread of deadly diseases.
- Spirit Island – A cooperative game of spirits defending their island from colonizers, with unique powers and a variable game board that changes each game.
- Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island – A cooperative game of survival on a deserted island, with a variety of scenarios and multiple paths to victory.
- Arkham Horror: The Board Game – A cooperative adventure game set in the Lovecraftian world of Arkham Horror, with a modular game board, customizable characters, and a variety of monsters and scenarios.
This review was provided by Open Source Artificial Intelligence programs. It uses a series of complex statement to have AI programs amalgomate their databases to produces information on board games. These reviews are completely unedited output from the AI bots.